Applications are accepted by appointment only from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
We do not take walk-ins.
WHEN AND WHERE DO WE APPLY?
Applicants can apply for a Wisconsin Marriage License in person in any county in Wisconsin, regardless if they are a Wisconsin resident or an out-of-state resident.
The license is only good for 60 days and there is a 3 day waiting period before the license can be issued. (The license will be mailed or available for pick-up on the 4th day.)
INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS NEEDED:
(All documents must be in English or translated to English.)
PLEASE CALL 608-685-6209 TO SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT. We do not accept walk-in customers.
1. Both applicants should provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. The birth certificate cannot have pictures of footprints on them or pictures of the hospital, as these are hospital souvenirs not birth certificates. If the birth certificate is in any language other than English it must be translated and certified. A Real ID can be used in lieu of a birth certificate if both parties know all the information contained on their birth certificate. (Correct spelling of parent's names, mother's maiden name, and correct spelling of applicant's name as shown on the birth certificate.)
2. Both applicants must provide photo identification. Examples would be a driver's license or passport.
3. Both applicants must provide proof of current address of where the applicant(s) lived for the past 30 days. This can be a driver's license, ID card, bank statement, or bill with current address.
4. If either applicant was previously married, they must show how the marriage ended and what date it ended on. Examples would be certified death certificates or certified copies of divorce papers. If the previous marriage ended via divorce 6 months must have passed since the final divorce date before the applicant can remarry.
5. Both applicants must provide their Social Security numbers.
6. Applicants must provide the date the ceremony will take place and where it will take place (city, village or town name). They must also provide the name, address and phone number of the person performing the ceremony.
7. Both parties must be present at the time of application to swear or affirm that the information provided for the marriage license application is true and correct and sign the application in the presence of the County Clerk of Deputy County Clerk.
MININMUM AGE TO MARRY
No one under the age of 16 can get married in Wisconsin regardless of the circumstances. An applicant between the ages of 16 and 18 must obtain the consent of his/her parents or legal guardians. Legal guardians must be present at the time of the application and must provide proof of custody.
CAN I GET MARRIED IN THE COURTHOUSE?
Our Judge does not perform marriages. We do have names of individuals that perform marriages. Please call 608-685-6209 for those names.
The marriage license fee is $75.00. If a waiver of the waiting period is granted there is an additional fee of $25.00 making the total cost of the marriage license $100.00. If we need to reprint the license after the time of your appointment for any reason there is a reprint fee of $5.00. There are no refunds and we cannot accept out-of-state checks. Payments can be made by cash or local check. We no longer accept credit cards or debit cards.